A Course in Miracles
by Helen Schucman
Unfortunately I started this book with a distaste for Christianity and was put off by the mentioning of God. It has some interesting lessons and I do plan on rereading this book in the future with a more open mind.
I can harbor respect for this book, but it just was not what I had in mind. It's recommendable but only to those who will not stick to their presupposition of what Christianity is.

The Scarlet Letter
by Nathaniel Hawthorne
I read The Scarlet Letter in my junior American Literature class in high school. While many of the other students disliked the book for its complex sentences and advanced syntax and Puritan diction, I found myself very fond of this Nathaniel Hawthorne novel.
Hester Prynne is the super woman of Puritan Boston. She is the epitome of what most Calvinist women lacked: courage, freethought, independence, and deep reevaluation of morals and values.
A lot of the other students also found themselves overwhelmed by the amount of symbolism, themes, and motifs in the novel. Personally, I think that is what really shapes the story and makes this Hawthorne's "magnum opus." The copious amount of symbolism is what makes this book unique.
Overall, it is a great book and I am glad I was introduced to it. I highly recommend it. Themes it explores are society vs nature, human condition, and self vs society.

The Catcher in the Rye
by J.D. Salinger
A very well written book that is either underestimated or over appreciated for the wrong reasons. We follow the "plot" by the first person narration of Holden Caulfield, who goes through extreme existentialism with a hint of misanthropy, often mistaken for teenage angst (or are they mutual?), and ends up in an asylum.
It is not one of my top books, but it is definitely a book I really like. I find myself being able to relate in some aspects to Holden from past ideologies and experiences. The main problem that Holden comes across is his fixation on preserving innocence. That is where we no longer relate. He tries to be that "catcher in rye" and we don't exactly find out if his perception on that changes by the end of book. (Correct me if I am wrong.)
I find it almost ironic that schools ban this book because of the explicit language. They are trying to bubble-wrap their students and preserve their innocence, just like Holden tries to do so with his sister. If only Holden knew the amount of kids he is corrupting...
BOTH Gabriela, Catcher is appreciated fro the wrong reason and wholly underestimated for the right ones...
ReplyDeletePeople tend to slough it off as boring, flat...but if you follow along with this laborious mind-set, you are one step closer into the mind of a demented, angst-ful soul...
It's not easy to read but neither is it easy to live in the mind which is slowly disintegrating...
Your blog, FINALLY, I am transported to a blog with a reason for being! You have a topic and are exploring that topic, instead of mindless drivel that so many journal-like blogs are spewing these days!
Congrats on your efforts so far, I am easily LURKING you (as I'm morally prohibited from doing the "F" thing!)and have added you to my B3 Favourite Blogs/Forums List, so I can keep an eye on your work!
I completed a thesis in college called "The Freudian Study of Adolf Hitler", so I know from where you are at in your studies in this subject matter!
Congrats and Cheers!
Cordially (If Not Entirely Sober!)
MsBurb
Honorary Coffee Shop Hostess-In-Chief &
High Chief Mucky Muck of
B3 - Burb's Buck & Buntline Inn
http://burbsbuckandbuntlineinn.blogspot.com/
TLB2 - 2nd Official Tate-LaBianca Murders Blog
http://2ndofficialtate-labiancamurdersblog.blogspot.com/
Ah, very well! Another Catcher in the Rye supporter. That is right! It certainly is both. I am glad others agree.
ReplyDeleteThank you very much. You will find, though, that I may go a bit off topic with other muses. Usually it is somehow related, though. Even if by a strand of hair, haha. Your thesis sounds like a very interesting topic, is it up for reads?
Thank you once again! I am glad you enjoy my blog.