Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Murray's List of Psychological Needs

Murray thinks we need these in order to not suffer from neurosis.
I feel like agreeing with most of them, even if some seem a bit... out there. Some do need to be practiced in small dosages as they might hurt others, but they are still vital to one's needs so they must not be left in the dark. My quotidian example of each will be parenthesized.

acquisition
to gain possessions and property
(Books. I love buying books.)

conservation to collect, repair, clean, and preserve things
(I like to take care keep good care of my possessions.)

order to arrange, organize, put away objects
(While I may seem messy, there is a certain organization to my things. I like having my clothes by color, books with most sentimental value higher on a shelf, etc.)

construction to organize and build
(I love making things for other people. Whether it be a juvenile painting, a mix-cd, or anything crafty.)

achievement to overcome obstacles, to exercise power, to strive to do something difficult, as well as quickly as possible
(I get good grades.)

recognition to excite praise and commendation
(I receive academic excellence awards.)

defendance to defend oneself against blame or belittlement
(Do this with my mom. q: )

dominance to influence or control others
(President of Key Club/Youth Ambassadors, Treasurer of SVC, editor of The Breeze, etc etc.)

autonomy to resist influence or coercion
( AKA I lay out my rules to my mom.)

aggression  to assault or injure
(Playful jokes with friends, "Slug Bug" game, etc.)

affiliation to form friendships and associations
(Strong bond with a few people, network of friends from clubs and organizations, etc.)

rejection to snub, ignore, or exclude
(No, thanks.)

nurture to nourish, aid, or protect
(Four nephews, one niece, been an aunt since I was ten. I love helping others.)

succorance to seek aid, protection, or sympathy
(Do this often enough.)

play to relax, amuse oneself, seek diversion, and entertainment
(Learning the harmonica, drawing, painting, being silly, etc.)

cognizance to explore
(Reading, people watching, going places, etc.)

2 comments:

  1. The examples help explain. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. It was brought to my attention that I should probably add more commentary to what I post, and I could not agree more. Glad my experiences are helping.

    ReplyDelete